Many of us are feeling anxious, nervous, angry, and sad following this divisive and polarizing political climate. Emotions are running high and it is a difficult time.
Please be kind to others and be kind to yourself. If you are not quite sure where to start, here are 10 simple tips.
- Learn to be kind to yourself: Be self-aware. Understand your limitations and your potential. Embrace your own value. Practice self-care.
- Prioritize kindness: Make a concerted effort to make kindness a habit and a priority. Make a choice each day to be compassionate. Ensure you do at least one kind thing for another person and one kind thing for yourself each day.
- Be kind to everyone: Avoid conditional or selective kindness and be kind to everyone, without exception. Be kind to those closest to you and to complete strangers. Be kind to those similar to you and to those with more differences.
- Listen to others: Don’t just pretend you are listening. Listen from a sincere place. Sometimes listening is the kindest thing you can do for another person.
- Be kind for your health: Positive thinking patterns correspond with happiness and improved mental health. Improved emotional health and boosted self-esteem are some of the many rewards of kindness.
- Forgive yourself: Part of kindness is forgiveness, and this starts with forgiving ourselves. Learn from your mistakes and avoid being hard on yourself or expecting perfection.
- Show affection: Show people you love them. Hug. Kiss. Hold hands. Pay a compliment to your coworker or neighbor. It just might make their day.
- Express gratitude: Research in positive psychology shows that those who practice gratitude have lower self-reported levels of depression and stress, and are more satisfied with their social relationships. Express gratitude, both inwardly and outwardly.
- Spread random acts of kindness: Hold the door open. Help an elderly or disabled person cross the street. Buy someone a coffee. There are many small things we can do every day to spread kindness.
- Donate your time or money: There are so many organizations whose sole mission are to spread compassion and help others. Make a financial contribution or donate your time to an organization whose mission you believe in. Spread kindness on a larger scale.