Name Changes and Gender Marker Changes

In Washington State, individuals can change the gender marker on their government-issued identification documents, such as driver’s licenses and birth certificates, to reflect their gender identity. The process for changing a gender marker may vary depending on the specific document, but generally involves submitting a request to the appropriate agency and providing supporting documentation.


To change the gender marker on a Washington State driver’s license, individuals must provide a letter from a licensed health care provider certifying that they have received appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition. The Washington State Department of Licensing will then issue a new driver’s license with the updated gender marker.


To change the gender marker on a birth certificate, individuals must provide a court order indicating that their gender has been legally changed. The court order can be obtained through a gender change petition process, which typically involves submitting a petition to the court, providing evidence of appropriate clinical treatment, and appearing in court for a hearing.


It is important to note that the process for changing a gender marker can be complex, and it is recommended to consult with an experienced Washington State family law attorney for guidance and information on the specific requirements and to help you through this process.


We can help. If you have questions about what is right for you or how to navigate a name change in Washington State or a gender marker change, please connect with us. Scheduling a consultation can get you the information you need to evaluate your next steps, plan for your future, or address a pending problem. We are here to make what can be a confusing or overwhelming time easier. Contact us to learn more about how we can help in the way that is most comfortable for you. You can by completing a contact form so we can reach out to you, call/text us anytime , or email us.